Oral cancer has been on the rise in past decades. It’s extremely important to know and be screened for oral cancers, especially if you’re a tobacco user. Here are some facts about oral cancer.
1. Oral cancers comprise about 85% of head and neck cancers.
2. Over 40,000 Americans are diagnosed with oral or pharyngeal cancer each year.
3. Oral cancer contributes to over 8,650 deaths per year, or 1 person per hour every day.
4. Unfortunately, oral cancer is usually discovered when the cancer has metastasized to another location, most likely the lymph nodes of the neck.
5. Although there are several types of oral cancers, around 90% are squamous cell carcinomas.
6. Tobacco, alcohol, and exposure to ultraviolet radiation are causative agents in cancers of the lip, as well as other skin cancers.
7. Viruses and fungi are associated with oral cancers. The human papilloma virus, (particularly HPV16) can cause oral cancers, particularly those that occur in the back of the mouth.
8. Other than the, common areas for oral cancer to develop on the tongue and the floor of the mouth.
9. All cancers result from gene mutations.
10. There has been a significant increase in oral cancers among women, mostly suspected from tobacco and alcohol consumption. Several decades ago the male-to-female ratio approximated 10 to 1; the ratio is now about 2 to 1.
At Atlantic Dental in New Smyrna Beach, we can screen your mouth for oral cancer during routine visits. Call us today to schedule an appointment.